Download a free PDF that highlights home fire sprinkler facts.
Fires in the home pose one of the biggest threats to the people of your community. More than 358,000 home fires occur each year, killing 2,500 people and injuring 13,000 others annually. Home fire sprinklers are a proven way to protect lives and property against fires at home. This technology responds quickly to reduce the heat, flames, and smoke from a fire, giving families valuable time to get to safety. Here are additional facts on home fire sprinklers:
- If you have a reported fire in your home, the risk of dying decreases by about 80 percent when sprinklers are present.
- People in homes with sprinklers are protected against significant property loss—sprinklers reduce direct property damage by about 70 percent per fire.
- Research shows that when sprinklers were present during a fire, the fire is kept to the room of origin 97 percent of the time.
- Roughly 85 percent of the time, just one sprinkler operates during a fire.
- Each individual sprinkler is designed and calibrated to go off when it senses a significant heat change.
- Only the sprinkler closest to the fire will activate, spraying water directly on the fire.
Model safety codes now require the use of home fire sprinklers in new, one- and two-family homes. These requirements offer the highest level of safety to protect the people of your community.