Regulations and agenda
Per the Regulations Governing the Development of NFPA Standards (Section 4.5), only Certified Amending Motions (with valid sign-in) and proper Follow-up Motions will be allowed during the NFPA Technical Meeting for standards processed in the Fall and Annual revision cycles.
The agenda for the Technical Meeting will be those standards with Certified Amending Motions as indicated in the Report of the Motions Committee on Certified Amending Motions.
Per the NFPA Bylaws, only NFPA Members of record 180 days before the opening of any Annual, Regular, Special, or Technical Meeting of the NFPA Membership who have duly registered and paid any registration fees for the meeting shall be entitled to vote at that meeting. Except as may be required by law or as may be provided in a Regulation or Standing Rule promulgated pursuant to Article 8 of these Bylaws, any action of the NFPA Voting Membership shall require the affirmative vote of a majority of the votes cast at the meeting.
Voting by proxy shall not be permitted, and the vote of each Voting NFPA Member shall be cast by that member individually.
Under NFPA rules, anyone wishing to make an allowable amending motion at an NFPA Technical Meeting must declare their intentions by filing, within the published deadline, a Notice of Intent to Make a Motion (NITMAM). NITMAMs submitted on Public Comments (PC) can only be submitted by the original submitter of the PC or their duly authorized Designated Representative. NITMAMs can be made by anyone if the NITMAM is on a Committee Comment, Second Revision, Second Correlating Revision, or in the case of a new standard, a NITMAM to Return the Entire NFPA Standard.
The Motions Committee of the NFPA Standards Council, in accordance with NFPA rules, reviews each NITMAM to determine whether the intended motion is a proper motion. Proposed NFPA Standards will be presented for action at the NFPA Technical Meeting only when an Amending Motion (NITMAM) has been certified by the Motions Committee as a proper amending motion. Standards that receive no motions will not be presented at the meeting and instead will be forwarded directly to the NFPA Standards Council for action on issuance. More about the standards development process including NITMAM.
Additional information on NITMAMs and authorized submitters can be found in Section 4.5 of the Regulations Governing the Development of NFPA Standards.
Annual 2019 revision cycle
- May 23, 2019: Download the agenda for this year's NFPA Technical Meeting (Tech Session) on June 20, 2019
- May 17, 2019: The second Report of the Motions Committee addresses the following Standards with Certified Amending Motions for consideration at the 2019 NFPA Technical Meeting: NFPA 25, NFPA 70, NFPA 855, and NFPA 1851; a list of NITMAMs that were not certified or were withdrawn; and identifies the list of five Consent Standards: NFPA 2, NFPA 78, NFPA 451, NFPA 1078, and NFPA 1936.
- March 27, 2019: The Report of the Motions Committee addresses one Fall 2018 and six Annual 2019 Standards with Certified Amending Motions for consideration at the 2019 NFPA Technical Meeting: NFPA 58, NFPA 130, NFPA 302, NFPA 502, NFPA 654, and NFPA 1961; a list of NITMAMs that were not certified or were withdrawn; and identifies the list of Consent Standards.
- April 26, 2019: Deadline for Notice of Intent to Make a Motion (NITMAM) on NFPA 70, National Electrical Code®.
- February 20, 2019: Deadline for Notice of Intent to Make a Motion (NITMAM) on Standards in Annual 2019 cycle.
Please note: The following documents have modified/custom schedules and therefore, have different NITMAM closing dates. Please check the specific document information page for current dates: NFPA 2, NFPA 25, NFPA 70, NFPA 78, NFPA 451, NFPA 855, NFPA 1078, NFPA 1851, NFPA 1877, and NFPA 1936
Instructions for submitting a NITMAM
- NFPA accepts NITMAMs via our online submission system. To use the online submission system:
- Choose a document from the List of NFPA codes & standards or filter by Development Stage for "codes accepting NITMAM".
- Once you are on the document page, select the "Next edition" tab and choose the link "Second Draft Report".
- You will be asked to sign-in or create a free online account with NFPA before using this system.
- Once on the Second Draft Report page, follow the online instructions to submit your NITMAM.
Previous Motions Committee Reports, Transcripts, and Final Results